In its 6pm update, the Ministry of Health has reported 23 additional COVID-19 cases, in addition to the 48 cases revealed at 10am today.
In total there were 71 new COVID-19 patients being added to the healthcare system, and of these 39 are pending investigation to find out how they contracted the virus.
Total active cases at this time to 348 while the number of discharged persons remain at 139, and deaths remain at 10.
The Chief Medical Officer on Saturday told the media that he has written to PAHO, which will then inform the World Health Organization that Trinidad and Tobago are now officialy under Community Spread for COVID-19.
Members of the public are reminded that they must adhere to the ‘New Normal’ recommendations and take the following personal health measures to protect themselves and their loved ones from COVID-19:
· Wear a mask over your nose and mouth when you go out in public
· Keep your distance from others (6 feet)
· Stay home if you are ill
· Clean then sanitize surfaces (e.g. tabletops, door knobs and cell phones)
· Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
· Cough into a tissue or into the crook of your elbow
· Avoid touching your face
If you or a loved one develops symptoms of COVID-19, please call the hotline 877-WELL or 800-WELL (9355) for further guidance. If the person is severely ill, call the 811 (emergency hotline) or call ahead to the Accident and Emergency Department of your nearest hospital for help and go in immediately.