The SWRHA will hold a clinical meeting with the family of a 60-year-old man who died following a blood clot that reportedly developed after his first shot of the Astra Zeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
Earlier this week, prior to the man’s death, the SWRHA said a preliminary clinical investigation determined that the clot was not linked to the vaccine.
There have been no statements since his passing on Thursday evening.
When asked today about the status of the probe, Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram had this to say.
During today’s briefing, Dr Parasram also generally stated that clots appear to be an extremely rare complication of the vaccine.
The CMO was responding to a question regarding blood clotting concerns and whether anything could be done to counter the possibility of it happening.
Earlier this week, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) said it would provide further context on the risk of very rare blood clots with low blood platelets.