Visits to remanded inmates at the Golden Grove compound will resume tomorrow (March 20th).
The Prison Service says visits to remanded inmates will also be accommodated on Saturdays between 8am and noon, effective this Saturday, March 21st.
The visits were initially suspended on Tuesday, in an attempt to bring the prison back to a state of normalcy, following a riot by inmates on that day.
It says clothing, books, toiletries and other items belonging to the inmates were damaged/destroyed by fires set during the incident.
Inmates are now in need of basic necessities however visitors must note the following guidelines when bringing in items:
- Based on the recommendations stipulated by the Ministry of Health, and in keeping with the Prison Service’s adopted policy regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus), the Service will not be accepting clothing items from outside the prison. Arrangements have been made to have care-packages available for purchase at the prison canteen. These packages will include items of clothing.
- Visits are limited to once per week
- Only one visitor would be allowed onto the compound for each inmate
- All visitors would be subjected to mandatory testing for symptoms before entry unto the compound
- Friends and relatives are reminded to exercise responsible behaviour and kindly refrain from visiting the prison if you display any symptoms of the coronavirus.